Updated Jul 8, 2014 - 6:08 pm
Trevor Cahill progressing gradually in the minors
He pitched one game for the Rawhide in the California League, giving up four runs in two innings pitched. The 26-year-old has moved up to Triple-A Reno since the rough start, where he has been fine-tuning his skills.
In the past week, Cahill has started two games, pitching 11.1 innings only giving up four hits while striking out nine in two victories.
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson is content with Cahill's progress in the minors, but added that his improved abilities remain unproven against major league talent.
"I mean he's done everything we've asked so the real test will be when he comes back here," Gibson said.
When he will return remains to be seen, but given that the D-backs traded Brandon McCarthy Sunday, lost Bronson Arroyo for the season Monday and have received uneven performances from rookie Mike Bolsinger, it's possible the team could turn to the veteran Cahill soon.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.