Jake Lamb, Aaron Blair win Diamondbacks monthly honors
Infielder Jake Lamb of the Double-A Mobile (Ala.) BayBears was designated the organization's minor league player of the month, while Single-A Advanced Visalia (Calif.) Rawhide right-hander Aaron Blair was named the pitcher of the month.
Lamb, hit .368 in June with 11 doubles, four triples, four home runs 27 RBI and 20 runs scored in 25 games. He was tied for second in the all of the minor leagues for extra-base hits (19) and triples in June, while tied for third in RBI. The D-backs' sixth-round draft pick in 2012 was also named the Southern League's player of the week for June 9-15 after going 10-for-21 (.476) with six extra-base hits and 11 RBI.
Additionally, Lamb started at third base for the South Division of the Southern League All-Star Game last month, and he went 1-for-3 with one run scored in the contest. The Diamondbacks said he entered 2014 as having the best strike-zone discipline in the organization's farm system, according to Baseball America.
The D-backs' top farm pitcher in June, Blair, went 3-0 with a 3.06 ERA in 32.1 innings pitched over five starts during the month. The 22-year-old led the California League with 39 strikeouts in June, and the D-backs said he leads all minor leaguers with 117 strikeouts on the season.
The team said Blair, a Marshall University product, entered the season rated by Baseball America as the D-backs' No. 5 prospect. The Las Vegas native was drafted by Arizona in the Competitive Balance Round-A (36th overall) in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.