Jake Lamb, Aaron Blair win Diamondbacks monthly honors
Infielder Jake Lamb of the Double-A Mobile (Ala.) BayBears was designated the organization's minor league player of the month, while Single-A Advanced Visalia (Calif.) Rawhide right-hander Aaron Blair was named the pitcher of the month.
Lamb, hit .368 in June with 11 doubles, four triples, four home runs 27 RBI and 20 runs scored in 25 games. He was tied for second in the all of the minor leagues for extra-base hits (19) and triples in June, while tied for third in RBI. The D-backs' sixth-round draft pick in 2012 was also named the Southern League's player of the week for June 9-15 after going 10-for-21 (.476) with six extra-base hits and 11 RBI.
Additionally, Lamb started at third base for the South Division of the Southern League All-Star Game last month, and he went 1-for-3 with one run scored in the contest. The Diamondbacks said he entered 2014 as having the best strike-zone discipline in the organization's farm system, according to Baseball America.
The D-backs' top farm pitcher in June, Blair, went 3-0 with a 3.06 ERA in 32.1 innings pitched over five starts during the month. The 22-year-old led the California League with 39 strikeouts in June, and the D-backs said he leads all minor leaguers with 117 strikeouts on the season.
The team said Blair, a Marshall University product, entered the season rated by Baseball America as the D-backs' No. 5 prospect. The Las Vegas native was drafted by Arizona in the Competitive Balance Round-A (36th overall) in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft.
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.