Updated Jul 7, 2014 - 5:21 pm
Report: Bronson Arroyo has torn UCL, will need Tommy John surgery
Arroyo was 7-4 this season with a 4.08 ERA in 86 innings in his first season with the D-backs, but went on the 15-day DL on June 16 with what was being described as elbow tendinitis.
The 37-year-old Arroyo, who signed a three-year contract with the D-backs prior to the season, threw a complete game against the Washington Nationals on May 13, and he believes the injury was suffered that night.
"He's just made the decision to go the conventional way and get it fixed," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said Monday afternoon. "The longer you wait, the longer you get really into the end of next year."
Arroyo continued to pitch for another month, and was rather effective, but at some point the pain became too much for him to keep going.
"We had a discussion with him before his last start and he was pretty adamant about continuing to pitch, he thought he could get through it but that last game really hurt him," Gibson said. "That's when we shut him down and got the MRI and we took this course. It seems that surgery is the only way to go now."
The veteran of 15 big league seasons owns a 145-131 record with a 4.19 ERA in 2,364.2 innings, having pitched for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds and the D-backs.
#Dbacks Bronson Arroyo says he is determined to come back and pitch another couple of years.— Steve Gilbert (@SteveGilbertMLB) July 7, 2014
No date has been set for Arroyo's surgery, although Gibson sounded optimistic that the veteran's rehabilitation timetable would be shorter than most.
"Because of the way he throws, the hope is that he won't need as long to rehab," he said. "(The hope is) that he can recover quickly. Generally, in his career, he's been really healthy."
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.