Updated Jul 6, 2014 - 4:39 pm
Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt voted to All-Star Game as National League starter
This time, however, he'll be doing so as a National League starter.
Goldschmidt, who finished play Sunday with a .310 batting average to go along with 16 home runs, NL-leading 32 doubles and 58 RBI, is the first D-back to be voted into the All-Star Game since Luis Gonzalez achieved the feat back in 2001.
Claiming the starting nod was not difficult for the 26-year-old, as he cruised (3,516,890 votes) to a comfortable victory over Los Angeles Dodgers first baseman Adrian Gonzalez (1,888,648 votes) and St. Louis Cardinals first baseman Matt Adams (1,746,904 votes).
The NL MVP runner-up from a season ago is also the first player from Arizona to play in back-to-back All Star Games since right-hander Dan Haren (2008-09).
The 2014 All-Star Game takes place July 15 at Target Field and can be seen on FOX starting at 5 p.m.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.