Updated Jul 5, 2014 - 7:02 pm
Report: Blue Jays 'heavily scouting' D-backs' Aaron Hill, Martin Prado ahead of deadline
According to ESPN insider Jim Bowden, the Toronto Blue Jays have been scouting both Aaron Hill and Martin Prado with the hopes of potentially upgrading their infield -- which is minus Brett Lowrie (broken finger) -- before the stretch run in the American League East.
Hill, who began his career in Toronto before being acquired by Arizona in Aug. 2011, has had his fair share of struggles this season -- batting .245 with six home runs and 42 RBI.
The 32-year-old's contract with the D-backs runs through the end of the 2016 season. He's scheduled to make $12 million in 2015.
Prado, who was part of the blockbuster deal in Jan. 2013 that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves, has a .268 batting average to go along with mediocre power numbers (three home runs and 34 RBI). He also has 13 errors and 13 GIDPs on the season.
The Venezuelan is currently on the second year of a four-year deal. Arizona still owes him $22 million after the 2014 campaign.
In addition to Hill and Prado, the Blue Jays have also been watching San Diego Padres third baseman Chase Headley.
Although as Bowden noted, Toronto hasn't been terribly impressed by what it's seen from any of the three players.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.