Updated Jul 5, 2014 - 7:35 pm
Diamondbacks trade Joe Thatcher, Tony Campana to Angels for two prospects
The deal has relief pitcher Joe Thatcher and outfielder Tony Campana heading to L.A. in exchange for minor leaguers Zach Borenstein and Joey Krehbiel.
Thatcher arrived in Arizona via San Diego midway through the 2013 season. The 32-year-old left-handed reliever had 37 appearances with the Diamondbacks so far in 2014, boasting a 2.63 ERA and 25 strikeouts in 24.0 innings pitched.
Campana, a left-handed hitter, had 60 at-bats with the D-backs in 2014, hitting just .150 with one double, one triple and three RBI.
The trade has the Diamondbacks receiving a right-handed pitcher and a left-handed hitting outfielder from the minor leagues.
Krehbiel, a 6-foot-2 reliever, pitched in 17 games for a Class-A and a Class-A Advanced club in the Angels' farm system this season. The 21-year-old struck out 23 batters and had a 2.00 ERA with five saves in 18.0 innings pitched.
Borenstein, a 6-foot, 225-pound leftfielder, has appeared in 78 games between the Angels' Double-A and Triple-A affiliates in 2014. For the Salt Lake Bees of the Pacific Coast League, the 23-year-old Borenstein batted .256 with two home runs and 22 RBI in 117 at-bats.
In addition to the trade Saturday, the Diamondbacks recalled left-handed relief pitcher Eury De La Rosa from Triple-A Reno, who has appeared in 19 games so far for the D-backs in 2014.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.