Updated Jul 5, 2014 - 7:35 pm
Diamondbacks trade Joe Thatcher, Tony Campana to Angels for two prospects
The deal has relief pitcher Joe Thatcher and outfielder Tony Campana heading to L.A. in exchange for minor leaguers Zach Borenstein and Joey Krehbiel.
Thatcher arrived in Arizona via San Diego midway through the 2013 season. The 32-year-old left-handed reliever had 37 appearances with the Diamondbacks so far in 2014, boasting a 2.63 ERA and 25 strikeouts in 24.0 innings pitched.
Campana, a left-handed hitter, had 60 at-bats with the D-backs in 2014, hitting just .150 with one double, one triple and three RBI.
The trade has the Diamondbacks receiving a right-handed pitcher and a left-handed hitting outfielder from the minor leagues.
Krehbiel, a 6-foot-2 reliever, pitched in 17 games for a Class-A and a Class-A Advanced club in the Angels' farm system this season. The 21-year-old struck out 23 batters and had a 2.00 ERA with five saves in 18.0 innings pitched.
Borenstein, a 6-foot, 225-pound leftfielder, has appeared in 78 games between the Angels' Double-A and Triple-A affiliates in 2014. For the Salt Lake Bees of the Pacific Coast League, the 23-year-old Borenstein batted .256 with two home runs and 22 RBI in 117 at-bats.
In addition to the trade Saturday, the Diamondbacks recalled left-handed relief pitcher Eury De La Rosa from Triple-A Reno, who has appeared in 19 games so far for the D-backs in 2014.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.