Updated Jul 3, 2014 - 4:59 pm
ESPN's Kurkjian: Diamondbacks' Tony La Russa could be big part of trade deadline talks
"Tony La Russa is a very methodical man. He is very smart," Kurkjian told Burns & Gambo Thursday afternoon on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "If Tony La Russa has the power we think he does, he might have the ability to tell Kevin Towers, ‘Tell me what you're going to do here and I want to be a part of this, I have to be a part of this.'"
Ever since La Russa was brought into the organization, questions have festered about whether or not he and Towers can coexist. Towers reports to La Russa, but part of any general manager's duties usually include pulling the trigger on trades.
Kurkjian mentioned that La Russa may intervene if he sees Towers taking action on a trade he doesn't like.
"He (La Russa) might be able to say, 'I don't think we should do that, and then perhaps a trade is not made,'" Kurkjian said.
Kurkjian also advised La Russa to wait out the rest of the season before reaching any conclusions about the future of the club, including whether or not Towers or manager Kirk Gibson have a place in it. The reporter also ruled out any notion that Towers might try to sabotage the organization's future plans.
"I don't think he would do anything trade-wise that wouldn't make any sense at all," Kurkjian said. "Since the year is already lost to making the playoffs, then make a determination after the season; that to me would be the right thing to do."
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.