Diamondbacks' McCarthy: A trade out of Arizona 'certainly seems likely'
The team signed him to a two-year, $15.5 million contract, and the right-hander has responded by giving the D-backs a 7-21 record with a 4.78 ERA in 39 starts.
And this season has been nothing short of disastrous, with McCarthy posting a 2-10 record with a 5.11 ERA.
But that doesn't mean he doesn't hold any value on the trade market. In fact, as FoxSportsArizona.com's Jack Magruder reports, McCarthy may even expect to be dealt.
"It certainly seems likely," McCarthy said of a possible trade, "but if I am still here at the end of September, then great. It is a place I enjoy.
"At this point, you become an asset the other way. Right now as a Diamondback, sometimes your best value is your future value and what they can get for you. I totally understand that side of the game. You accept it as reality, but it is not something I sit and worry about all the time, check every rumor. Just let it happen, and when I get a phone call and that happens, there you go."
What the D-backs could get for McCarthy is unknown, but the team may want to deal him to free up a rotation spot for one of its younger pitchers, meaning what it gets in return would not necessarily be the top priority in a trade.
McCarthy is coming off one of his best starts of the season, allowing just six hits and one earned run in seven innings in a win over the San Diego Padres. He struck out seven on the night.
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.