Updated Jun 29, 2014 - 5:15 pm
D-backs add infield depth, acquire Ronny Cedeno in trade with Phillies
The D-backs have acquired Ronny Cedeno in exchange for catcher Raywilly Gomez.
Cedeno, who was outrighted by Philadelphia Saturday, played in seven games with the Phillies in 2014, going hitless in nine at-bats.
A career .245 hitter, Cedeno has played parts of 10 big league seasons with the Chicago Cubs, Seattle Mariners, Pittsburgh Pirates, New York Mets, Houston Astros, San Diego Padres and Phillies.
Gomez has spent his entire minor-league career in Arizona's organization and was batting .273 with three home runs and 22 RBI in Double-A Mobile at the time of the trade.
According to MLB.com writer Steve Gilbert, Cedeno will be sent to Triple-A Reno.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.