Updated Jun 29, 2014 - 10:14 am
Diamondbacks place Chris Owings on 15-day disabled list
Owings, 22, is hitting .277 this season in 72 games. He leads all National League rookies in on-base-plus-slugging percentage, with a .771 mark, while ranking second in batting average, doubles (15), home runs (6) and slugging percentage (.458).
His placement on the disabled list will be retroactive to June 26.
In a corresponding move, the Diamondbacks have recalled Triple-A Reno shortstop Nick Ahmed.
Entering the season, Ahmed, 24, was ranked as the Diamondbacks' No. 11 prospect by MLB.com. In 79 games for the Reno Aces, he has hit .324 with a .390 on-base percentage, .822 OPS and 36 RBI. The slick-fielding shortstop, who was acquired by the Diamondbacks in the trade which sent outfielder Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves for Martin Prado and a haul of prospects, won the Minor League Rawlings Gold Glove Award last season as the lower levels' top defensive shortstop.
Ahmed joins the Diamondbacks in the midst of a 12-game hitting streak in the Pacific Coast League. He is slated to start at shortstop and hit eighth for the team on Sunday as they face the San Diego Padres at Petco Park.
In an additional corresponding move, the Diamondbacks have placed infielder Eric Chavez on the 60-day disabled list to clear room for Ahmed on the 40-man roster, which is now at 40.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.