Updated Jun 29, 2014 - 10:14 am
Diamondbacks place Chris Owings on 15-day disabled list
Owings, 22, is hitting .277 this season in 72 games. He leads all National League rookies in on-base-plus-slugging percentage, with a .771 mark, while ranking second in batting average, doubles (15), home runs (6) and slugging percentage (.458).
His placement on the disabled list will be retroactive to June 26.
In a corresponding move, the Diamondbacks have recalled Triple-A Reno shortstop Nick Ahmed.
Entering the season, Ahmed, 24, was ranked as the Diamondbacks' No. 11 prospect by MLB.com. In 79 games for the Reno Aces, he has hit .324 with a .390 on-base percentage, .822 OPS and 36 RBI. The slick-fielding shortstop, who was acquired by the Diamondbacks in the trade which sent outfielder Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves for Martin Prado and a haul of prospects, won the Minor League Rawlings Gold Glove Award last season as the lower levels' top defensive shortstop.
Ahmed joins the Diamondbacks in the midst of a 12-game hitting streak in the Pacific Coast League. He is slated to start at shortstop and hit eighth for the team on Sunday as they face the San Diego Padres at Petco Park.
In an additional corresponding move, the Diamondbacks have placed infielder Eric Chavez on the 60-day disabled list to clear room for Ahmed on the 40-man roster, which is now at 40.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.