D-backs' Derrick Hall: Teams are 'labeling us as sellers, and they should'
The Arizona Diamondbacks, owners of the worst record and biggest standings deficit in the National League, are expected to be active between now and late July.
"I think we're probably going to make a move or two before (the deadline), but I think the others, you usually try to wait and go up until the deadline because your position strength is the longer you wait, you're in a position of power," D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall told Doug and Wolf Thursday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
There are many trade candidates on the Arizona roster, however Hall says the team will be prudent in moving any of them to other teams.
"We're not going to make moves just to make moves," he said. "People are labeling us as sellers, and they should because it doesn't make sense to buy right now when you're in the position we are. We need to get back into the swing of winning series again like we did two or three weeks ago and we fell out of it and got into a funk again.
"(The fans) just need to know now that we're going to make some moves and free up some payroll for next year -- we're going to get right back where we were and restock that cupboard. This is a great opportunity for this organization, and one we haven't been in for a couple years."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.