D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson: The mood of the team is still good
They've been besieged with injuries, most notably pitchers Patrick Corbin and David Hernandez missing the entire season after undergoing Tommy John surgeries. There are currently 11 players on the disabled list.
Home hasn't been kind to them; their 14-29 mark at Chase Field is by far the worst home record in baseball.
In other words, not much has gone right for this year's club. However, it hasn't affected the mood of the team, according to manager Kirk Gibson.
"It's good, they've been good," Gibson told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM when asked about the club's disposition. "I give them credit for that, I'm proud of them. The energy is good -- we've played pretty good, aggressive baseball."
There's no denying that the Diamondbacks have played better following a disastrous start to the season that saw them go 9-22 in March/April with a run differential of -62. Since May 1, they're 23-25 with a respectable run differential of -4.
"We've played hard, we've played it right to the last out, the last strike," Gibson said. "It is frustrating. The losses hurt. But we've kind of vowed that we wouldn't give in, we're not going to give in. We regroup every day.
"I still believe there's going to be a good run in this team and we'll get back to .500."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.