D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson: The mood of the team is still good
They've been besieged with injuries, most notably pitchers Patrick Corbin and David Hernandez missing the entire season after undergoing Tommy John surgeries. There are currently 11 players on the disabled list.
Home hasn't been kind to them; their 14-29 mark at Chase Field is by far the worst home record in baseball.
In other words, not much has gone right for this year's club. However, it hasn't affected the mood of the team, according to manager Kirk Gibson.
"It's good, they've been good," Gibson told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM when asked about the club's disposition. "I give them credit for that, I'm proud of them. The energy is good -- we've played pretty good, aggressive baseball."
There's no denying that the Diamondbacks have played better following a disastrous start to the season that saw them go 9-22 in March/April with a run differential of -62. Since May 1, they're 23-25 with a respectable run differential of -4.
"We've played hard, we've played it right to the last out, the last strike," Gibson said. "It is frustrating. The losses hurt. But we've kind of vowed that we wouldn't give in, we're not going to give in. We regroup every day.
"I still believe there's going to be a good run in this team and we'll get back to .500."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.