D-backs' Trevor Cahill shows some improvement in third minor league start
Sunday night, the 26-year-old took the mound for the Reno Aces against the Colorado Springs Sky Sox and showed a little improvement over his first two starts, although he did struggle with command.
Cahill went 4.1 innings, allowing just two hits and two earned runs. He walked three and struck out four. The first batter he faced, Colorado Springs third baseman Rafael Ynoa, lined a home run to right field to give the Sox a 1-0 lead.
But Cahill settled down and didn't allow another hit until Kyle Parker led off the fourth inning with a single to center. Parker would later be erased on an inning-ending 5-4-3 double play.
When he left with one out in the fifth inning, the game was tied 1-1. Colorado Springs would go on to win 9-5. In the game, Cahill threw 81 pitches, 45 of them for strikes.
In his three minor league starts, Cahill is 0-2 with an 8.68 ERA. He's pitched 9.1 innings, allowing seven hits, 10 runs (9 earned) while striking out 13 and walking four. He's allowed a home run in each appearance.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.