D-backs' Trevor Cahill shows some improvement in third minor league start
Sunday night, the 26-year-old took the mound for the Reno Aces against the Colorado Springs Sky Sox and showed a little improvement over his first two starts, although he did struggle with command.
Cahill went 4.1 innings, allowing just two hits and two earned runs. He walked three and struck out four. The first batter he faced, Colorado Springs third baseman Rafael Ynoa, lined a home run to right field to give the Sox a 1-0 lead.
But Cahill settled down and didn't allow another hit until Kyle Parker led off the fourth inning with a single to center. Parker would later be erased on an inning-ending 5-4-3 double play.
When he left with one out in the fifth inning, the game was tied 1-1. Colorado Springs would go on to win 9-5. In the game, Cahill threw 81 pitches, 45 of them for strikes.
In his three minor league starts, Cahill is 0-2 with an 8.68 ERA. He's pitched 9.1 innings, allowing seven hits, 10 runs (9 earned) while striking out 13 and walking four. He's allowed a home run in each appearance.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.