Report: D-backs GM Kevin Towers on San Diego Padres' radar
USA Today's Bob Nightengale tweeted Sunday that Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers may be San Diego's preferred replacement after Towers previously spent 14 years in San Diego before joining the New York Yankees then the D-backs.
Towers helped lead the Padres to four NL West championships and an appearance in the 1998 World Series. He was fired following the 2009 season, then joined the New York Yankees as a special assignment scout before the D-backs hired him in September 2010.
Byrnes served as the D-backs' GM before Towers, holding the position following the 2005 season until being fired during the 2010 season. The Padres are 12.5 games back of first-place San Francisco, but hold a 1.5 game lead over the last-place D-backs. The Padres have scored the fewest runs in baseball this season.
Much speculation has surrounded Towers' job security in Arizona after the team hired former St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa in the midst of one of the worst starts in franchise history.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.