Report: D-backs GM Kevin Towers on San Diego Padres' radar
USA Today's Bob Nightengale tweeted Sunday that Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers may be San Diego's preferred replacement after Towers previously spent 14 years in San Diego before joining the New York Yankees then the D-backs.
Towers helped lead the Padres to four NL West championships and an appearance in the 1998 World Series. He was fired following the 2009 season, then joined the New York Yankees as a special assignment scout before the D-backs hired him in September 2010.
Byrnes served as the D-backs' GM before Towers, holding the position following the 2005 season until being fired during the 2010 season. The Padres are 12.5 games back of first-place San Francisco, but hold a 1.5 game lead over the last-place D-backs. The Padres have scored the fewest runs in baseball this season.
Much speculation has surrounded Towers' job security in Arizona after the team hired former St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa in the midst of one of the worst starts in franchise history.
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.