Updated Jun 22, 2014 - 1:39 pm
D-backs closer Addison Reed quits smokeless tobacco, cites Tony Gwynn's death
Gwynn believed that years of using smokeless tobacco caused the cancer, and D-backs closer Addison Reed vowed to stop the habit as a result of his death, according to Steve Gilbert of Dbacks.com
Reed, who played for Gwynn at San Diego State, had used smokeless tobacco since he was a junior in high school.
Reed threw away seven cans from his locker before earlier this week, then threw away two more in his car as part of his effort to quit the habit.
"It's one of those things where I've done it for so long it's just become a habit, a really bad habit," Reed said of using smokeless tobacco. "It was something I always told myself I would quit, like next month, and the next thing you know it's been six or seven years.
"It started to get bad my first year in pro ball and it's one of those things where I've always done it," he said. "I'd come to the field and throw one in and have multiple ones. I'd have one on the ride home, one on the way to the field and it was one of those things where I always had one with me."
Now that is no longer the case.
"These five days have been kind of rough, but I think it's something that's doable," Reed said. "I don't have any cans in my locker, so as long as I don't go and buy any, I should be all right."
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.