Injured Trumbo, Hudson to play in simulated game
Manager Kirk Gibson said outfielder Mark Trumbo and pitcher Daniel Hudson are expected to play in a simulated game on Tuesday.
In his first season from the Diamondbacks, Trumbo is batting only .210 but belted seven home runs, three doubles and 19 RBI in 81 at-bats before going on the 15-day disabled list due to a stress fracture in his foot. The 28-year-old left fielder hasn't played since April 21 against the Chicago White Sox.
Gibson said the former Los Angeles Angels slugger hasn't done too much in his rehab other than working out and "strengthening stuff."
"He's picked up the pace every day," Gibson said. "(There's) a lot of inflammation in (his foot). So he's trying to get that out first."
The manager said Trumbo has also been shagging balls in the outfield as well as hitting.
As far as Hudson, the 27-year-old right-hander hasn't pitched in the Majors since June 26, 2012. He has undergone two Tommy John surgeries since that time, including one after making a rehab start last June.
The 6-foot-4 pitcher won 16 games over 222 innings for the D-backs in a breakout 2011 season, also earning the NL Silver Slugger Award -- given to the best batter at his position.
In early March, the 27-year-old hurler tweeted that he was back to throwing from flat ground.
Gibson said that Trumbo will likely face Gibson for 15 to 20 pitches in their simulation. He added that he doesn't expect either back until after the All-Star break.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.