D-backs first-round pick Touki Toussaint: 'I love it here'
"I want to say thank you to the organization for picking me and giving me the opportunity to be a first rounder," Toussaint said Saturday at an introductory press conference at Chase Field. "They trust me when many other teams didn't. It's a great place and I love it here."
Toussaint, a right-handed starting pitcher who the D-backs made the No. 16 overall pick, said he is excited to begin playing after getting the hassle of signing his first contract out of the way.
"Signing my contract was a relief, now the process is over I can focus and just play baseball," he said.
Toussaint wasn't always a pitcher; he started as a shortstop when he soon found out it wasn't going to be the position to get him into the big leagues.
"I didn't really want to pitch until my junior year because I liked hitting but everyone saw that I was a better pitcher than a hitter," he said.
The D-backs stumbled upon Toussaint during his sophomore year when area scout Frank Thon Jr. was in the Miami area watching a 2012 high school prospect and Toussaint was playing on the opposing team.
"While we were watching the 2012 draftee, Touki was playing shortstop and we thought ‘this could be the guy in two years as a shortstop,'" Thon said. "And then he actually gets on the mound the last inning and just him warming up a couple pitches into it and thought 'wow!'"
Toussaint pitching style has been compared to Hall of Famer Bob Gibson, but it's more recent and current pitchers he sees himself as.
"I try to pitch like Pedro Martinez and Jose Fernandez because they have that fire and I love it," Toussaint said. "You're supposed to have fun and they have fun and they know how to compete."
Toussaint will begin his career in the Arizona league while adapting to the professional life. But what does the newest D-back hope to splurge on with his first big league paycheck?
"I definitely want a car, but we'll see," he said.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.