D-backs first-round pick Touki Toussaint: 'I love it here'
"I want to say thank you to the organization for picking me and giving me the opportunity to be a first rounder," Toussaint said Saturday at an introductory press conference at Chase Field. "They trust me when many other teams didn't. It's a great place and I love it here."
Toussaint, a right-handed starting pitcher who the D-backs made the No. 16 overall pick, said he is excited to begin playing after getting the hassle of signing his first contract out of the way.
"Signing my contract was a relief, now the process is over I can focus and just play baseball," he said.
Toussaint wasn't always a pitcher; he started as a shortstop when he soon found out it wasn't going to be the position to get him into the big leagues.
"I didn't really want to pitch until my junior year because I liked hitting but everyone saw that I was a better pitcher than a hitter," he said.
The D-backs stumbled upon Toussaint during his sophomore year when area scout Frank Thon Jr. was in the Miami area watching a 2012 high school prospect and Toussaint was playing on the opposing team.
"While we were watching the 2012 draftee, Touki was playing shortstop and we thought ‘this could be the guy in two years as a shortstop,'" Thon said. "And then he actually gets on the mound the last inning and just him warming up a couple pitches into it and thought 'wow!'"
Toussaint pitching style has been compared to Hall of Famer Bob Gibson, but it's more recent and current pitchers he sees himself as.
"I try to pitch like Pedro Martinez and Jose Fernandez because they have that fire and I love it," Toussaint said. "You're supposed to have fun and they have fun and they know how to compete."
Toussaint will begin his career in the Arizona league while adapting to the professional life. But what does the newest D-back hope to splurge on with his first big league paycheck?
"I definitely want a car, but we'll see," he said.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?