Updated Jun 20, 2014 - 8:46 pm
D-backs agree to terms with first-round draft pick Touki Toussaint
Toussaint, went 8-2 with a 1.22 ERA in 63.1 innings of work as a high school senior, stats good enough for the D-backs to pluck him with the 16th overall selection of the draft. He was rated as the third-best high school pitcher by Baseball America and MLB.com had him listed as the eighth-best prospect in the draft.
The 17-year-old had signed a national letter of intent to play college baseball at Vanderbilt University.
"We knew we had our work cut out for us because Vandy was in the picture," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said. "They're one of the top college programs ... we'll get a chance to get him out there real soon."
Towers said Toussaint will likely start in the Arizona league after throwing a side session this week.
With Toussaint's signing, the Diamondbacks have now inked 27 of their 42 selections in this year's First-Year Player Draft.
"There's not a lot you have to teach him other than getting him pro reps and facing a better caliber of player," Towers said.
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.