Updated Jun 20, 2014 - 2:19 pm
Diamondbacks designate J.J. Putz for assignment
Putz, 37, was in the midst of a rocky fourth season with the Diamondbacks, going 1-1 with a 6.59 earned run average in 18 appearances. In three previous seasons, the right-hander pitched to a 2.45 ERA in 146.2 innings pitched while compiling 83 saves -- ranking him second on the franchise's all-time list. His 2.81 ERA with the Diamondbacks is also second on the all-time list.
In 12 seasons in the majors, he had 572 relief appearances, going 37-33 with 189 saves and a 3.08 ERA. Before joining the Diamondbacks, he spent time with the Seattle Mariners, New York Mets and Chicago White Sox.
In a corresponding move, the Diamondbacks reinstated outfielder Ender Inciarte, who was on the seven-day disabled list recovering from a concussion.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.