Derrick Hall: Retaliation is a risky game to play
"You know it's going to happen, but what scares me is the safety of our players," Hall told Doug and Wolf Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Any time you're in a situation like that, you now that Braun is going to get hit. You know that Goldschmidt is going to get hit. I don't want a superstar to get hurt because there's retaliation going on."
Hall said he still gets concerned every time it happens since there is no written rule about retaliation and it seems to be a case not of if it happens, but when.
"The reaction from the opposition is hit their superstar. I don't like that, of course I'm worried," Hall said. "You're going to go after somebody, but in baseball, I worry about it. If someone's been hit already, and Goldschmidt's on deck, I'm thinking ‘please don't hit Paul.'"
He dissuaded any notion that hitting Braun had anything to do with the 2011 divisional series, which the Diamondbacks lost to the Brewers. He added that retaliation is a fickle unwritten rule, but if it must happen, the pitch needs to be below the neck.
"We know it's a part of the game, it's always been a part of the game. It's something we're all aware of, but you look now, there's some severe penalties," Hall said. "What's awesome about it is no one got hurt."
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.