Derrick Hall: Retaliation is a risky game to play
"You know it's going to happen, but what scares me is the safety of our players," Hall told Doug and Wolf Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Any time you're in a situation like that, you now that Braun is going to get hit. You know that Goldschmidt is going to get hit. I don't want a superstar to get hurt because there's retaliation going on."
Hall said he still gets concerned every time it happens since there is no written rule about retaliation and it seems to be a case not of if it happens, but when.
"The reaction from the opposition is hit their superstar. I don't like that, of course I'm worried," Hall said. "You're going to go after somebody, but in baseball, I worry about it. If someone's been hit already, and Goldschmidt's on deck, I'm thinking ‘please don't hit Paul.'"
He dissuaded any notion that hitting Braun had anything to do with the 2011 divisional series, which the Diamondbacks lost to the Brewers. He added that retaliation is a fickle unwritten rule, but if it must happen, the pitch needs to be below the neck.
"We know it's a part of the game, it's always been a part of the game. It's something we're all aware of, but you look now, there's some severe penalties," Hall said. "What's awesome about it is no one got hurt."
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?