Derrick Hall: Retaliation is a risky game to play
"You know it's going to happen, but what scares me is the safety of our players," Hall told Doug and Wolf Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "Any time you're in a situation like that, you now that Braun is going to get hit. You know that Goldschmidt is going to get hit. I don't want a superstar to get hurt because there's retaliation going on."
Hall said he still gets concerned every time it happens since there is no written rule about retaliation and it seems to be a case not of if it happens, but when.
"The reaction from the opposition is hit their superstar. I don't like that, of course I'm worried," Hall said. "You're going to go after somebody, but in baseball, I worry about it. If someone's been hit already, and Goldschmidt's on deck, I'm thinking ‘please don't hit Paul.'"
He dissuaded any notion that hitting Braun had anything to do with the 2011 divisional series, which the Diamondbacks lost to the Brewers. He added that retaliation is a fickle unwritten rule, but if it must happen, the pitch needs to be below the neck.
"We know it's a part of the game, it's always been a part of the game. It's something we're all aware of, but you look now, there's some severe penalties," Hall said. "What's awesome about it is no one got hurt."
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.