Luis Gonzalez: Diamondbacks need Mark Trumbo back 'desperately'
"He (Trumbo) was brought in here to protect Goldschmidt and to be the stabilization behind him and to provide that security for him," Gonzalez told Bickley and Marotta Monday afternoon on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Before he went down with a broken foot on Apr. 21, Trumbo was hitting .210 with seven home runs and 19 RBI. Without his bat in the lineup, Gonzalez said it has become more difficult for Goldschmidt to find success.
"Goldy is just a superstar player in the game, he works hard," Gonzalez said. "When you're a guy like Goldschmidt, you're that one guy they pick out on the team that can beat you."
Gonzalez mentioned the trio of Albert Pujols, Mike Trout and Josh Hamilton, who play for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, as a good example of how hitters protecting each other in a lineup can work to a team's advantage. He added that if Trumbo can return sooner rather than later, then the D-backs could string some wins together and find themselves back in the playoff hunt.
"Trumbo is a guy we desperately need back to get back in the middle of the order, to stabilize this time and to stretch our lineup out a little bit longer," Gonzalez said. "When you hit in the middle of an order you always want to have that other guy the batman and robin type of thing you want to have that protector guy with you."
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.