Luis Gonzalez: Diamondbacks need Mark Trumbo back 'desperately'
"He (Trumbo) was brought in here to protect Goldschmidt and to be the stabilization behind him and to provide that security for him," Gonzalez told Bickley and Marotta Monday afternoon on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Before he went down with a broken foot on Apr. 21, Trumbo was hitting .210 with seven home runs and 19 RBI. Without his bat in the lineup, Gonzalez said it has become more difficult for Goldschmidt to find success.
"Goldy is just a superstar player in the game, he works hard," Gonzalez said. "When you're a guy like Goldschmidt, you're that one guy they pick out on the team that can beat you."
Gonzalez mentioned the trio of Albert Pujols, Mike Trout and Josh Hamilton, who play for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, as a good example of how hitters protecting each other in a lineup can work to a team's advantage. He added that if Trumbo can return sooner rather than later, then the D-backs could string some wins together and find themselves back in the playoff hunt.
"Trumbo is a guy we desperately need back to get back in the middle of the order, to stabilize this time and to stretch our lineup out a little bit longer," Gonzalez said. "When you hit in the middle of an order you always want to have that other guy the batman and robin type of thing you want to have that protector guy with you."
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.