Luis Gonzalez: Diamondbacks need Mark Trumbo back 'desperately'
"He (Trumbo) was brought in here to protect Goldschmidt and to be the stabilization behind him and to provide that security for him," Gonzalez told Bickley and Marotta Monday afternoon on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
Before he went down with a broken foot on Apr. 21, Trumbo was hitting .210 with seven home runs and 19 RBI. Without his bat in the lineup, Gonzalez said it has become more difficult for Goldschmidt to find success.
"Goldy is just a superstar player in the game, he works hard," Gonzalez said. "When you're a guy like Goldschmidt, you're that one guy they pick out on the team that can beat you."
Gonzalez mentioned the trio of Albert Pujols, Mike Trout and Josh Hamilton, who play for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, as a good example of how hitters protecting each other in a lineup can work to a team's advantage. He added that if Trumbo can return sooner rather than later, then the D-backs could string some wins together and find themselves back in the playoff hunt.
"Trumbo is a guy we desperately need back to get back in the middle of the order, to stabilize this time and to stretch our lineup out a little bit longer," Gonzalez said. "When you hit in the middle of an order you always want to have that other guy the batman and robin type of thing you want to have that protector guy with you."
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.