Updated Jun 15, 2014 - 1:49 pm
Thirteen years later, Womack's grand slam on Father's Day still special
Arguably the most profound of those moments didn't come during a do-or-die postseason game or autumn night at Yankee Stadium, but rather in the team's Father's Day contest against a struggling Detroit Tigers squad.
With the bases loaded in the bottom of the fourth and the D-backs already leading 2-1, light-hitting shortstop Tony Womack came to the plate to face right-hander Dave Mlicki.
Womack, who had lost his father just three weeks prior to the interleague affair, wasted little time honoring his memory. On Mlicki's second offering, the veteran infielder swatted the ball over the right field fence for his first home run of the season.
What made the grand slam so special that afternoon wasn't the four runs it provided Arizona in it's 8-3 win over Detroit, but Womack's reaction upon reaching home plate.
Thirteen years later that special Father's Day long ball has certainly endured.
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.