Paul Goldschmidt trying to keep positive outlook on season
"You can try and make little adjustments and try to stay positive and believe in what you're doing," Goldschmidt told Doug & Wolf Thursday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "If you do that, hopefully over the long run things will turn around and you'll start playing better."
It's hard to imagine a better version of Goldschmidt. He earned a Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards last season, and is currently tied for the National League lead in hits (81) and second in RBI (48). Goldschmidt, who is hitting .308 with 13 home runs this season, admitted that it can be discouraging when the team isn't doing well, which leaves him wanting to do more.
"Sometimes it's frustration where you try and press a little bit. Sometimes you realize that and try to relax," Goldschmidt said. "There is not an easy answer of how to fix it."
He may not have an answer about how to fix the D-backs' roller coaster season so far, but his own mental approach to the game has helped his consistency over the past two seasons.
"I think the best way is just to stay even keel and when things are going good, to not get too excited and think you have it figured out," Goldschmidt said. "When things are going bad, you have to know they're going to turn around and not get too down on yourself."
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.