Updated Jun 12, 2014 - 11:37 am
Diamondbacks send Trevor Cahill to Class A-ball, claim Jordan Pacheco from Rockies
PHOENIX -- Three days after designating pitcher Trevor Cahill for assignment the Arizona Diamondbacks have optioned him to Class A Visalia.
Cahill had struggled in the starting rotation and the bullpen in 2014, going 1-6 with a 5.66 ERA in 19 appearances.
After designating him for assignment the team had 10 days to return him to the 40-man roster, trade, release or outright him to the minor leagues.
On Monday Cahill mentioned he wanted to improve his consistency.
"There's times when I come out of the 'pen and I feel good and there's starts where I feel really good, it's just those starts where I don't feel sharp I just kind of have to figure out a way to get through it and still help the team win," Cahill said.
He's expected to start for the Visalia Rawhide Thursday.
Yes, Trevor Cahill will be starting for the Rawhide tonight at Inland Empire! He's scheduled to pitch 3 innings.— Visalia Rawhide (@VisaliaRawhide) June 12, 2014
In another, and unrelated, move the Diamondbacks claimed catcher/infielder Jordan Pacheco from the Colorado Rockies and designated Nick Evans.
Pacheco, 28, had been with the Rockies for four seasons, hitting .281 with 54 doubles, eight home runs and 98 RBI in 270 games. He played in 22 games with the Rockies in 2014 before being designated for assignment on June 4.
The utility man has spent time at first base, third base, catcher, second base and left field.
Evans had played in eight games, going 1-for-11 since his call up on May 28.
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.