Updated Jun 12, 2014 - 11:37 am
Diamondbacks send Trevor Cahill to Class A-ball, claim Jordan Pacheco from Rockies
PHOENIX -- Three days after designating pitcher Trevor Cahill for assignment the Arizona Diamondbacks have optioned him to Class A Visalia.
Cahill had struggled in the starting rotation and the bullpen in 2014, going 1-6 with a 5.66 ERA in 19 appearances.
After designating him for assignment the team had 10 days to return him to the 40-man roster, trade, release or outright him to the minor leagues.
On Monday Cahill mentioned he wanted to improve his consistency.
"There's times when I come out of the 'pen and I feel good and there's starts where I feel really good, it's just those starts where I don't feel sharp I just kind of have to figure out a way to get through it and still help the team win," Cahill said.
He's expected to start for the Visalia Rawhide Thursday.
Yes, Trevor Cahill will be starting for the Rawhide tonight at Inland Empire! He's scheduled to pitch 3 innings.— Visalia Rawhide (@VisaliaRawhide) June 12, 2014
In another, and unrelated, move the Diamondbacks claimed catcher/infielder Jordan Pacheco from the Colorado Rockies and designated Nick Evans.
Pacheco, 28, had been with the Rockies for four seasons, hitting .281 with 54 doubles, eight home runs and 98 RBI in 270 games. He played in 22 games with the Rockies in 2014 before being designated for assignment on June 4.
The utility man has spent time at first base, third base, catcher, second base and left field.
Evans had played in eight games, going 1-for-11 since his call up on May 28.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.