Updated Jun 9, 2014 - 2:36 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' David Peralta doesn't want to wake up from dream start
In his first week of action since being called up from Double-A Mobile, Peralta hit .429 with one home run, two RBI and six runs scored. Peralta recorded a hit in each of his seven MLB games, including five multi-hit games.
"It's still like I'm in shock," Peralta said after hitting his first career home run in Sunday's 6-5 win over the Braves. "I'm still dream(ing). I don't want to wake up."
Peralta's two-run blast came in the seventh inning, with the D-backs trailing 2-0. He hit Aaron Harang's first-pitch breaking ball an estimated 427 feet.
"I just made my best swing. I saw the ball flying and I was like, ‘Okay I got it. It feels good.' I couldn't stop laughing and smiling."
For Peralta, 26, the journey to the majors took time after originally signing with the Cardinals in 2004. He began his career as a pitcher, but has since converted into an outfielder.
The Cardinals released Peralta in 2009 and the D-backs signed him during the 2013 season. In 104 games with Double-A Mobile and High-A Visalia from 2013-2014, Peralta hit .322 with 14 home runs.
The hot start in the minors coupled with outfielders Mark Trumbo and A.J. Pollock landing on the disabled list opened the door for Peralta to get called up.
He's taken full advantage of the opportunity, which thus far couldn't have been scripted any better.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.