The Pulse: Arizona Sports readers put little stock in MLB Draft
On Friday, we asked what our readers thought of the Arizona Diamondbacks' first-round selection of Touki Toussaint in the 2014 First-Year Player Draft.
Toussaint was taken with the No. 16 selection in the draft, but it appears our readers barely got a whiff of the news, as a majority of them said they don't invest time in Major League Baseball's annual draft.
Two-hundred and forty-two people (54 percent) out of 450 voters responded, "Who? I don't follow the MLB Draft." Apparently, the draft just hasn't caught on for MLB the way that the event has for the NFL and NBA and their fans.
For those willing to entertain the question, many of them (37 percent) said, "Great selection, he has a bright future!" And finally, 41 voters (9 percent) clicked on "Not bad, but they should have taken a hitter."
Toussaint is a 17-year-old right-handed pitcher from Coral Springs Christian Academy in Florida. At 6-foot-2 and 198 pounds, Toussaint was rated by Baseball America as the country's third-best high school pitcher, while MLB.com had him as the eighth-ranked prospect in the entire draft. Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers has called the young hurler "kind of a young Bob Gibson."
On Friday, the right-hander said on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM that he is weighing a decision on whether to go to college -- where he has been offered a scholarship to play at Vanderbilt -- or join the pro ranks. Perhaps this is another reason why a handful of voters in our poll were underwhelmed by the D-backs' first-round choice.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.