Updated Jun 5, 2014 - 8:17 pm
Diamondbacks select high school RHP Touki Toussaint with No. 16 pick in 2014 MLB Draft
With the No. 16 overall pick in the 2014 MLB Draft, the D-backs selected right-hander Touki Toussaint out of Coral Springs (Fla.) Christian Academy.
"I think our scouts had him as one of the top five pitchers in the draft," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said. "It was kind of like [Braden] Shipley's situation [in 2013]. I don't think we thought he would get to us at No. 16, but we think he has tremendous upside.
"He's relatively new to pitching. Great athlete, kid with incredible aptitude. He kind of reminds me when you watch him on video of a young Bob Gibson. The ball comes out of his hand real easy."
The 6-foot-2 standout went 8-2 as a senior with a 1.22 ERA, four complete games and 104 strikeouts.
Toussaint, who is of Haitian descent, throws a fastball that sits between 92 and 95 miles per hour on occasion reaches 98. He also throws a plus curveball in the upper-70s and a cutter that normally hits 86 to 88 on the gun.
"What you'll see is his athleticism," D-backs Scouting Director Ray Montgomery said. "He was a soccer player. He's a very good athlete. He can handle the bat. He plays shortstop when he doesn't pitch.
"Like most pitchers, he'll probably think he's a good hitter. I just hope he can bunt, turn the lineup over and do some of those things. If he can give us a little extra offensively great. I do like the overall athleticism."
Although he didn't start playing competitive baseball until he was 12, the native of Pembroke Pines, Fla. introduced himself to the baseball community with 18 strikeouts over six innings of work in the 2012 WWBA World Championship.
To date, no Haitian player has ever played at the big league level.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.