ESPN analyst: Diamondbacks have some selling to do
Though they weren't necessarily expected to contend for the NL West title, the team's 24-36 start has left them 14 games back of the division leading Giants and seven games out of a Wild Card spot.
And June just began.
"They've got the worst run differential in baseball," he told Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday. "They've got a worse run differential, by far, than the Astros. These are not good signs, right?"
To be fair, the Diamondbacks have played better of late. After posting a disastrous 9-22 record in March/April, the team went on to win 14 of 27 games in May.
But the team's turnaround will only take it so far, and right now Stark is not terribly high on the team's present or future.
"Once upon a time they had maybe the best (farm) system in baseball and were incredibly deep all over the diamond, and that's certainly not true anymore," he said, adding that there are still some players in the organization that he's high on. "But they have really gone for it and it's not going to happen."
Stark pointed to the ESPN playoff odds, which gives the D-backs a 1.5 percent chance to reach the postseason. It's the lowest number of any team in baseball.
"I think it's clear that once they get through the draft and once Tony (La Russa) figures out what he wants to do, they're going to have to do some selling between now and July and try to retool," he said.
It's not as if the team lacks talent, Stark noted, as he believes the team could find takers for pitcher Bronson Arroyo as well as either of their shortstops, if they decided to trade Chris Owings or Didi Gregorius.
"I'll tell you a guy that I hear other teams talk about all the time, Brad Ziegler," he said. "Brad Ziegler would be a really useful piece in a bullpen.
"They're going to be able to make some deals -- and they need to -- but the lines of authority are a little murky right now so who makes them, how does it work? I don't know."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.