D-backs' A.J. Pollock undergoes hand surgery
The 26-year-old outfielder was named the National League Player of the Week for the second time in three weeks, solidifying the fact that he was one of the hottest players in baseball.
Monday afternoon, Pollock had a plate and screws placed in his fractured right hand during a surgery performed by Dr. Don Sheridan.
According to the Diamondbacks, Pollock is tentatively scheduled to resume baseball activity in about eight weeks.
Pollock was enjoying a breakout season before being struck in the hand by a pitch from Cincinnati's Jonathan Broxton in the eighth inning of a 5-0 loss to the Reds last Saturday night. Pollock ranks seventh in the National League with a .316 batting average, is eighth in slugging percentage (.554) and on-base plus slugging (.920), tied for seventh with 16 doubles and tied for second with four triples. His Wins Above Replacement mark of 3.1 is third among NL position players, behind only Colorado's Troy Tulowitzki (4.5) and Miami's Giancarlo Stanton (4.1).
Venezuelan native David Peralta was recalled from Double-A Mobile to take Pollock's roster spot and had two hits in his Major League debut Sunday.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.