D-backs' A.J. Pollock undergoes hand surgery
The 26-year-old outfielder was named the National League Player of the Week for the second time in three weeks, solidifying the fact that he was one of the hottest players in baseball.
Monday afternoon, Pollock had a plate and screws placed in his fractured right hand during a surgery performed by Dr. Don Sheridan.
According to the Diamondbacks, Pollock is tentatively scheduled to resume baseball activity in about eight weeks.
Pollock was enjoying a breakout season before being struck in the hand by a pitch from Cincinnati's Jonathan Broxton in the eighth inning of a 5-0 loss to the Reds last Saturday night. Pollock ranks seventh in the National League with a .316 batting average, is eighth in slugging percentage (.554) and on-base plus slugging (.920), tied for seventh with 16 doubles and tied for second with four triples. His Wins Above Replacement mark of 3.1 is third among NL position players, behind only Colorado's Troy Tulowitzki (4.5) and Miami's Giancarlo Stanton (4.1).
Venezuelan native David Peralta was recalled from Double-A Mobile to take Pollock's roster spot and had two hits in his Major League debut Sunday.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.