D-backs' A.J. Pollock undergoes hand surgery
The 26-year-old outfielder was named the National League Player of the Week for the second time in three weeks, solidifying the fact that he was one of the hottest players in baseball.
Monday afternoon, Pollock had a plate and screws placed in his fractured right hand during a surgery performed by Dr. Don Sheridan.
According to the Diamondbacks, Pollock is tentatively scheduled to resume baseball activity in about eight weeks.
Pollock was enjoying a breakout season before being struck in the hand by a pitch from Cincinnati's Jonathan Broxton in the eighth inning of a 5-0 loss to the Reds last Saturday night. Pollock ranks seventh in the National League with a .316 batting average, is eighth in slugging percentage (.554) and on-base plus slugging (.920), tied for seventh with 16 doubles and tied for second with four triples. His Wins Above Replacement mark of 3.1 is third among NL position players, behind only Colorado's Troy Tulowitzki (4.5) and Miami's Giancarlo Stanton (4.1).
Venezuelan native David Peralta was recalled from Double-A Mobile to take Pollock's roster spot and had two hits in his Major League debut Sunday.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Gerardo Parra's Arizona Diamondbacks career: By the Numbers
- Martin Prado: By the Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks call up Andy Marte and Roger Kieschnick from Triple-A Reno
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.