D-backs' A.J. Pollock undergoes hand surgery
The 26-year-old outfielder was named the National League Player of the Week for the second time in three weeks, solidifying the fact that he was one of the hottest players in baseball.
Monday afternoon, Pollock had a plate and screws placed in his fractured right hand during a surgery performed by Dr. Don Sheridan.
According to the Diamondbacks, Pollock is tentatively scheduled to resume baseball activity in about eight weeks.
Pollock was enjoying a breakout season before being struck in the hand by a pitch from Cincinnati's Jonathan Broxton in the eighth inning of a 5-0 loss to the Reds last Saturday night. Pollock ranks seventh in the National League with a .316 batting average, is eighth in slugging percentage (.554) and on-base plus slugging (.920), tied for seventh with 16 doubles and tied for second with four triples. His Wins Above Replacement mark of 3.1 is third among NL position players, behind only Colorado's Troy Tulowitzki (4.5) and Miami's Giancarlo Stanton (4.1).
Venezuelan native David Peralta was recalled from Double-A Mobile to take Pollock's roster spot and had two hits in his Major League debut Sunday.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.