D-backs rotation bounces back in May
After a disastrous start in March and April, the D-backs played better baseball in May by taking six of nine series.
How bad was that start?
After April, the D-backs were in last place in MLB at 9-22, including 3-15 at home. Out of 10 series, the team won one and split another.
The main culprit to the horrendous start was shaky starting pitching, with starters carrying a 5-18 record and a 6.29 ERA.
Right-handers Trevor Cahill and Randall Delgado were relegated to the bullpen after fizzling in the rotation. Cahill lost all four starts with a 9.17 ERA, while Delgado lasted just two starts and gave up nine runs in 7.1 innings pitched.
Pitchers Bronson Arroyo, Brandon McCarthy and Wade Miley all struggled, which was puzzling because of their proven track records.
In May, the starting pitching improved dramatically with an 11-8 record and a 3.72 ERA. Arroyo had the most noticeable improvement, shaving his ERA from 7.77 in April to 4.39 where it stands now.
Outfielder A.J. Pollock also burst onto the scene in May. Unfortunately, he fractured his right hand May 31, but was hitting .375 and stole eight bases in the month.
Even with the improvements on the mound, the D-backs still have the worst ERA (4.47) and run differential (-65) in MLB.
A 4.47 ERA doesn't sound terrible, but today's pitching-dominated world is a different era. The last time the MLB-worst ERA finished lower than 4.47 was in 1981 when the Seattle Mariners had a 4.23 ERA.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?