D-backs rotation bounces back in May
After a disastrous start in March and April, the D-backs played better baseball in May by taking six of nine series.
How bad was that start?
After April, the D-backs were in last place in MLB at 9-22, including 3-15 at home. Out of 10 series, the team won one and split another.
The main culprit to the horrendous start was shaky starting pitching, with starters carrying a 5-18 record and a 6.29 ERA.
Right-handers Trevor Cahill and Randall Delgado were relegated to the bullpen after fizzling in the rotation. Cahill lost all four starts with a 9.17 ERA, while Delgado lasted just two starts and gave up nine runs in 7.1 innings pitched.
Pitchers Bronson Arroyo, Brandon McCarthy and Wade Miley all struggled, which was puzzling because of their proven track records.
In May, the starting pitching improved dramatically with an 11-8 record and a 3.72 ERA. Arroyo had the most noticeable improvement, shaving his ERA from 7.77 in April to 4.39 where it stands now.
Outfielder A.J. Pollock also burst onto the scene in May. Unfortunately, he fractured his right hand May 31, but was hitting .375 and stole eight bases in the month.
Even with the improvements on the mound, the D-backs still have the worst ERA (4.47) and run differential (-65) in MLB.
A 4.47 ERA doesn't sound terrible, but today's pitching-dominated world is a different era. The last time the MLB-worst ERA finished lower than 4.47 was in 1981 when the Seattle Mariners had a 4.23 ERA.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.