Updated May 29, 2014 - 4:29 pm
D-backs analyst impressed with Chase Anderson
Anderson pitched five innings, gave up eight hits and struck out three to lead the D-Backs to a 12-6 victory over the San Diego Padres Wednesday night, becoming the first D-backs rookie to win his first three starts.
"He's got great stuff and he knows how to use it," former D-backs manager and current team broadcaster Bob Brenly told Bickley and Marotta Thursday afternoon on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "He's got three quality pitches. The changeup is a plus plus pitch and going along with the poise and stuff and fortunately for him the team has scored a boatload of runs when he has been on the mound so all those things kind of build his confidence."
Anderson, the ninth round draft pick of the D-backs in the 2009 amateur draft, began the year in Double-A Mobile where he went 4-2 with a 0.69 ERA for the BayBears before he was called up to replace the demoted Mike Bolsinger.
He made an immediate impact and showed flashes of brilliance in his first major league start on May 11th in a win over the Chicago White Sox giving up only two hits and striking out six in 5.1 innings pitched. He then proved his worth again against the Dodgers on May 18th earning another win.
Anderson has been aided tremendously by the D-backs offense, which has provided him with 35 runs in his three big league starts.
Brenly believes the University of Oklahoma product, who has a 4.02 ERA in 15.2 innings pitched, has a bright future with the organization.
"I think already he feels like he belongs here and can succeed here," Brenly said. "I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be a big part of this rotation moving forward for years."
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.