Diamondbacks president Hall: I can't conclude what Tony La Russa is going to do
After all, it's likely La Russa wouldn't have even been brought on board had the D-backs not struggled so mightily early in the 2014 season, and many believe the team's skipper and/or GM are responsible.
But instead of letting go of Towers or Gibson, Derrick Hall and the team decided it would be best to add La Russa.
"One of the reasons we made the decision we did was because we didn't want a lot of disruption," the team president told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday morning. "We wanted to, this early in the season, you hate to be knee-jerk in April."
In a way, the timing just didn't seem right to make wholesale changes.
"You've got a draft coming up, you've got a trade deadline coming up, you want people here that understand your personnel as you try and figure out where to move forward directionally with this organization, and that's really going to be an evaluation that Tony's going to have to make," he said. "I think right now he's being very methodical, as he should be, and he's just trying to get a good lay of the land, and I expect that process to take a little time."
The draft is slated to begin on June 5, and the MLB non-waiver trade deadline is July 31. Up to this point, La Russa has spent much of his time touring the organization's farm system in order to get a better feel for the overall structure and talent level.
So it's understandable why La Russa didn't just come in and clean house. But whether or not he will decide to do so at some point is something even Hall doesn't really know.
"I can't predict what he's going to conclude, but I know that he's going to do what's in the best interest of the organization," Hall said. "And he's a winner. This guy knows what it takes to win. He knows he's going to get the right people around him, whether they're already here or he has to go out and recruit them.
"But I'm confident in his ability and his intelligence and his competitiveness."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.