D-backs GM Towers: This can work with La Russa
"The only thing that is different at least since Tony's been hired is probably more communication with him more so than probably Derrick (Hall) just because that's who I report to now when we make player moves or talking about the draft," Towers said on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
On the show last week, Towers said he hadn't interacted with La Russa in person, but hoped he wasn't a "pseudo GM."
This week, his tune seems more optimistic.
Towers said the arrangement of a GM reporting to a CBO can work, and both he and La Russa want it to work, "but only time will tell" if it actually does.
"We're both baseball guys," Towers said. "I've known him for quite some time leading back to the late 90s. I think in the few conversations we have there's a comfort level. There's mutual respect. I think I could certainly be in assistance to him on the calendar and timing and priorities in the front office.
"I'm sure I could learn a lot about the game of baseball and assembling a ballclub from arguably one of the great managers in the game."
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.