D-backs GM Towers: This can work with La Russa
"The only thing that is different at least since Tony's been hired is probably more communication with him more so than probably Derrick (Hall) just because that's who I report to now when we make player moves or talking about the draft," Towers said on the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
On the show last week, Towers said he hadn't interacted with La Russa in person, but hoped he wasn't a "pseudo GM."
This week, his tune seems more optimistic.
Towers said the arrangement of a GM reporting to a CBO can work, and both he and La Russa want it to work, "but only time will tell" if it actually does.
"We're both baseball guys," Towers said. "I've known him for quite some time leading back to the late 90s. I think in the few conversations we have there's a comfort level. There's mutual respect. I think I could certainly be in assistance to him on the calendar and timing and priorities in the front office.
"I'm sure I could learn a lot about the game of baseball and assembling a ballclub from arguably one of the great managers in the game."
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.