The Pulse: No D-backs starter is off to a surprising start
On Monday, we asked readers, "Which D-backs starting pitcher is doing better than you expected him to do?"
The readers didn't leave much doubt, with 38 percent of the almost 700 votes voting for "none." Bronson Arroyo came in second with 28 percent of the vote while Brandon McCarthy earned 17 percent. Josh Collmenter was the only other option with more than 10 percent of the vote.
The D-backs' rotation was the biggest culprit behind the team's historically bad start to the season, though the numbers have started evening themselves out over the last month.
Arizona has by far the fewest quality starts in the national league with 18, and its 4.56 team ERA is almost a full run worse than the National League average.
Collmenter is the lone member of the D-backs rotation with an ERA under four, though Arroyo has seen his ERA drop to 4.15 after an abysmal start to the season.
Nine different pitchers have started for the D-backs this season and none have an ERA better than four during their stint as a starter.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.