The Pulse: No D-backs starter is off to a surprising start
On Monday, we asked readers, "Which D-backs starting pitcher is doing better than you expected him to do?"
The readers didn't leave much doubt, with 38 percent of the almost 700 votes voting for "none." Bronson Arroyo came in second with 28 percent of the vote while Brandon McCarthy earned 17 percent. Josh Collmenter was the only other option with more than 10 percent of the vote.
The D-backs' rotation was the biggest culprit behind the team's historically bad start to the season, though the numbers have started evening themselves out over the last month.
Arizona has by far the fewest quality starts in the national league with 18, and its 4.56 team ERA is almost a full run worse than the National League average.
Collmenter is the lone member of the D-backs rotation with an ERA under four, though Arroyo has seen his ERA drop to 4.15 after an abysmal start to the season.
Nine different pitchers have started for the D-backs this season and none have an ERA better than four during their stint as a starter.
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.