D-backs rally but fall to Padres: By The Numbers
That trend reversed course on Tuesday.
The D-backs saw an early lead last less than an inning, committed their 40th error of the season, allowed a go-ahead, two-out homer in the eighth inning and ended the game on a borderline strike call as they fell to the Padres 4-3 on Chase Field, though they still have an opportunity for a series win on Wednesday.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
1 (part I)
D-backs reliever Evan Marshall allowed the first earned run of his major league career on Tommy Medica's go-ahead eighth-inning homer. He had started his career with 9.1 scoreless innings, which ended with Medica's two-out blast.
1 (part II)
Arizona third baseman Martin Prado connected on his first home run of 2014, sending an Eric Stults offering deep into the left field bleachers in the second inning to hand the D-backs an early 1-0 lead.
Diamondbacks pitchers failed to secure shutdown innings following two of the three frames in which the D-backs scored -- the Padres scored three following Prado's early homer and Medica's blast came a half-inning after Arizona tied the game at three.
Miley because the fourth left-hander in D-backs history to strike out 11 hitters in a game, joining Brian Anderson, who did it once, Omar Daal, who did it twice, and Randy Johnson, who did it a whopping 78 times.
The Padres managed five hits off of Miley in their three-run third inning,
Miley's 11 strikeouts set a new career high, surpassing his previous best of 10.
The D-backs made their 40th error of 2014 in the Padres' three-run third, the sixth-highest total in all of baseball. Only six teams have a worse fielding percentage than Arizona's .980.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.