Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo: I'm good, I'm banged up all the time
"I'm good. I'm the same as I've always been, man," he said laughing.
That's good news, because a day earlier his manager explained that part of the reason he was pulled after six innings was due to a tender elbow.
"I don't know why Gibby (manager Kirk Gibson) said that about my elbow being banged up," he said. "I'm banged up all the time. It's not new news. We play this game banged up almost all of the time. That's just the way it is. You find a good way to stay healthy and it's going to entail some drugs and some therapy and some rest. It's just the life of playing 162 games."
Arroyo was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the seventh inning with the game tied at 1. He had allowed the New York Mets to score the one run on six hits and one walk while striking out one and inducing four double play balls.
Arroyo, 37, takes pride in never having landed on the disabled list over his 15-year career, making at least 32 starts in each of the past nine seasons.
"It's just stuff you always deal with," he said of the soreness in his elbow. "There's times when I just try to be honest with Gibby because at the end of the day when I've got 112 pitches and it's the seventh inning and he asks me how I am and I say, 'I'm fine' on some certain day, I want him to trust in me on that. I went to him yesterday and just said, 'That's all I've got, man. I can't go another one.' It's not in the best interest of the ballclub for me to try to get those three outs in the seventh inning.
"As long as you're not in an organization where every time you say something is wrong with you or you're not feeling 100 percent they want to pull you out of the lineup, then that's a problem for me."
Arroyo (4-3, 4.15 ERA) is scheduled to make his next start Friday against his former team, the Cincinnati Reds.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?