Updated May 26, 2014 - 10:54 am
CBS Sports: D-backs OF A.J. Pollock among MLB's hottest starters
He had shown above-average outfield defense to go along with occasional pop and an average of around .260.
But Pollock has taken his game to another level to start the 2014 season, and CBS Sports baseball insider Jon Heyman included Pollock at No. 11 on a list of the 25 best starts in baseball this season.
The 26-year-old has the team's second-highest batting average at .286 and his five home runs are tied for third on the team. He's helped anchor a D-backs outfield that has dealt with injuries to Cody Ross and Mark Trumbo through the season's first two months, and he's established himself as one of the D-backs' few bright spots.
Here's what Heyman had to say about Pollock:
He has been a shining light in a bleak D-Backs beginning, with five home runs, six stolen bases and a 2.2 WAR. He's the fastest guy on the team, and a very good base stealer, so it's a wonder he's often buried at or near the bottom of a generally unproductive order. He has batted leadoff 10 times total, but eventually that needs to be his spot. Staying power: 4 (out of 5).
The Diamondbacks made Pollock the No. 17 overall pick in the 2009 MLB draft, and he's since compiled a .270 average, 15 home runs, 57 RBIs and 19 stolen bases in 213 major-league games.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.