Updated May 26, 2014 - 10:54 am
CBS Sports: D-backs OF A.J. Pollock among MLB's hottest starters
He had shown above-average outfield defense to go along with occasional pop and an average of around .260.
But Pollock has taken his game to another level to start the 2014 season, and CBS Sports baseball insider Jon Heyman included Pollock at No. 11 on a list of the 25 best starts in baseball this season.
The 26-year-old has the team's second-highest batting average at .286 and his five home runs are tied for third on the team. He's helped anchor a D-backs outfield that has dealt with injuries to Cody Ross and Mark Trumbo through the season's first two months, and he's established himself as one of the D-backs' few bright spots.
Here's what Heyman had to say about Pollock:
He has been a shining light in a bleak D-Backs beginning, with five home runs, six stolen bases and a 2.2 WAR. He's the fastest guy on the team, and a very good base stealer, so it's a wonder he's often buried at or near the bottom of a generally unproductive order. He has batted leadoff 10 times total, but eventually that needs to be his spot. Staying power: 4 (out of 5).
The Diamondbacks made Pollock the No. 17 overall pick in the 2009 MLB draft, and he's since compiled a .270 average, 15 home runs, 57 RBIs and 19 stolen bases in 213 major-league games.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.