D-backs fall in St. Louis as Cardinals complete 3-game sweep: By The Numbers
After beating the Los Angeles Dodgers for the second and third times this season -- the first and second at Chase Field -- the D-backs had won four of their last five series and had one of the best records in baseball for the month of May.
But then after seeming to turn a corner, the season continued on a downward trend for Arizona.
Wade Miley walked four over 6.2 innings and the D-backs' offense was again stagnant on Thursday, as they fell to the Cardinals 4-2 -- wrapping up a three-game sweep by St. Louis.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
D-backs outfielder Ender Enciarte is now the owner of a .253 on-base-plus-slugging percentage -- a number that is worse than five members of the D-backs' pitching staff.
4 (part I)
Miley issued four bases on balls during Thursday's game to go along with seven hits and three strikeouts, though none of the left-hander's free passes came around to score.
4 (part II)
The Diamondbacks scored just four runs while being swept by the Cardinals -- they were shut out in the opener and scored two runs in each of the final two games of the series.
4 (part III)
The three-game sweep marked the fourth time the D-backs have been swept this year -- they also dropped the opening series to Los Angeles, as well as back-to-back series to the Dodgers and Mets in mid-April.
After allowing three earned runs in 6.2 innings, Miley's ERA feel to 4.85 on the season -- a number that is the current rotation's second-worst, behind Chase Anderson's ERA of 5.06.
The D-backs have scored 27 runs in their past six games -- a number that looks good until nothing that 18 of those came in Saturday's 18-7 win over Los Angeles. The D-backs have been shut out twice during that stretch.
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.