D-backs fall in St. Louis as Cardinals complete 3-game sweep: By The Numbers
After beating the Los Angeles Dodgers for the second and third times this season -- the first and second at Chase Field -- the D-backs had won four of their last five series and had one of the best records in baseball for the month of May.
But then after seeming to turn a corner, the season continued on a downward trend for Arizona.
Wade Miley walked four over 6.2 innings and the D-backs' offense was again stagnant on Thursday, as they fell to the Cardinals 4-2 -- wrapping up a three-game sweep by St. Louis.
Here's a closer look at the loss, by the numbers:
D-backs outfielder Ender Enciarte is now the owner of a .253 on-base-plus-slugging percentage -- a number that is worse than five members of the D-backs' pitching staff.
4 (part I)
Miley issued four bases on balls during Thursday's game to go along with seven hits and three strikeouts, though none of the left-hander's free passes came around to score.
4 (part II)
The Diamondbacks scored just four runs while being swept by the Cardinals -- they were shut out in the opener and scored two runs in each of the final two games of the series.
4 (part III)
The three-game sweep marked the fourth time the D-backs have been swept this year -- they also dropped the opening series to Los Angeles, as well as back-to-back series to the Dodgers and Mets in mid-April.
After allowing three earned runs in 6.2 innings, Miley's ERA feel to 4.85 on the season -- a number that is the current rotation's second-worst, behind Chase Anderson's ERA of 5.06.
The D-backs have scored 27 runs in their past six games -- a number that looks good until nothing that 18 of those came in Saturday's 18-7 win over Los Angeles. The D-backs have been shut out twice during that stretch.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.