Kurkjian on Diamondbacks: With La Russa on board, Towers more likely to go than Gibson
Needless to say, the move sent ripples across the baseball landscape, and it has left many -- both locally and nationally -- still trying to make sense of it all.
What does it mean? What are the implications? What level of authority is in place?
But ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian has a fairly simple explanation for the hire.
"Well, this is what you do when you're 13 games under .500 and 10 games out," he told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Burns & Gambo show on Wednesday. "You hire the best guy available and bring him in and say, 'Tell us what we're missing here.'"
Kurkjian seemed to have little doubt that La Russa was that guy -- the best available to the Diamondbacks.
"And Tony La Russa is great at things like this," he went on. "He has as discerning an eye as basically anyone I've ever run across."
But, despite the sensible explanation, even Kurkjian was taken aback by the move a little -- not by the Diamondbacks' search for such an executive, but by La Russa's decision.
"I'm surprised Tony is back in a position like this this quickly," he said. "But he loves a challenge and he's got one here."
Immediately after the hire, speculation began on the job security of general manager Kevin Towers and manager Kirk Gibson. Kurkjian weighed in on the possibility of a departure, specifically for the D-backs' GM.
"That's likely, obviously, if they don't turn it around significantly," he said. "And I don't see them turning it around significantly.
"If one of the two is going to take the fall first, it would probably be Towers, but we have a long way to go on this still and that's not to say either one of them is safe."
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.