Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder A.J. Pollock named National League Co-Player of the Week
In six games last week, Pollock led the National League in batting, posting a .500 (11-for-22) mark. The center fielder also led the NL with a .909 slugging percentage during that time. It is the first time he has been named the Player of the Week.
On Saturday, he collected a career-high four hits, going 4-for-6 with two RBI and three runs scored as the Diamondbacks rolled to an 18-7 victory over the rival Dodgers. The 26-year-old outfielder followed that up with a 3-for-4 night Sunday -- his third multi-hit game of the week -- as the Diamondbacks beat Los Angeles for the second night in a row, winning their first home series of the campaign.
Pollock is hitting .315 with nine doubles, five home runs, 11 RBI and six stolen bases in 130 at-bats this season.
As for Puig, he had a .348 batting average (8-for-23) in six games last week, posting a league-leading 10 RBI and league-high-tying three home runs. The 23-year-old right fielder also tied Pollock for the NL lead in total bases (20) while finishing second behind the D-backs outfielder with an .870 slugging percentage. This is the second time the second-year pro has received the weekly honor.
Puig is batting .322 with nine home runs, nine doubles and 35 RBI in 152 at-bats in 2014.
The two players with each be rewarded with a watch courtesy of Game Time for their Player of the Week honors.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.