The Pulse: D-backs' hiring of Tony La Russa a 'home run'
On Sunday, May 18, we asked what fans thought of the Arizona Diamondbacks' hiring of former manager Tony La Russa to be the chief baseball operator of the organization.
With four options from which to choose, and 747 people weighing in, the most popular answer by far was the most positive option: "Home run!" as 482 readers (64 percent) said. Another 20 percent gave a simple round of applause, clicking on "Good hire."
That left 10 percent of voters who said, "Depends on how much control he has," and just 6 percent of readers were indifferent, clicking on "Won't make a difference" -- perhaps skeptical of this move being able to change around the perceived stagnant culture in the clubhouse.
The hire seemingly came out of nowhere Saturday, and D-backs players responded positively, while Doug Franz of The Doug & Wolf Show wrote that it's an important first step for this franchise in trying to turn itself around.
La Russa began his career as a manager in 1979 with the Chicago White Sox and he didn't let up until 2011 with the St. Louis Cardinals. He has taken teams to three World Series titles, and he is a four-time Manager of the Year. Click here to see some of the other numbers that stand out from his storied career.
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.