The Pulse: D-backs' hiring of Tony La Russa a 'home run'
On Sunday, May 18, we asked what fans thought of the Arizona Diamondbacks' hiring of former manager Tony La Russa to be the chief baseball operator of the organization.
With four options from which to choose, and 747 people weighing in, the most popular answer by far was the most positive option: "Home run!" as 482 readers (64 percent) said. Another 20 percent gave a simple round of applause, clicking on "Good hire."
That left 10 percent of voters who said, "Depends on how much control he has," and just 6 percent of readers were indifferent, clicking on "Won't make a difference" -- perhaps skeptical of this move being able to change around the perceived stagnant culture in the clubhouse.
The hire seemingly came out of nowhere Saturday, and D-backs players responded positively, while Doug Franz of The Doug & Wolf Show wrote that it's an important first step for this franchise in trying to turn itself around.
La Russa began his career as a manager in 1979 with the Chicago White Sox and he didn't let up until 2011 with the St. Louis Cardinals. He has taken teams to three World Series titles, and he is a four-time Manager of the Year. Click here to see some of the other numbers that stand out from his storied career.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.