The Pulse: D-backs' starting pitching likely to 'level out in the middle'
Through March and April, the team's rotation was at the bottom of every major statistical category, including ERA, WHIP, opposing batting average and fewest quality starts.
The tide seems to have turned, though, for Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Josh Collmenter and Wade Miley over the last 20 games.
With the help of Mike Bolsinger and Chase Anderson, the D-backs' starting five has combined to produce an ERA of 3.08 ERA, a 1.104 (WHIP) clip and eight total wins since April 23.
So, we at ArizonaSports.com asked our readers whether the staff's performance in April or May was a better indication of how things will turn out at the end of the 162-game season.
Of the 643 readers polled, a third option suggesting they'll level out somewhere in the middle of both months was far and away the most popular choice, garnering 75 percent of the vote (480).
There were some signs of optimism, however, as the next most popular choice (17 percent) favored the staff's performance in May as the better indicator.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.