The Pulse: D-backs' starting pitching likely to 'level out in the middle'
Through March and April, the team's rotation was at the bottom of every major statistical category, including ERA, WHIP, opposing batting average and fewest quality starts.
The tide seems to have turned, though, for Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Josh Collmenter and Wade Miley over the last 20 games.
With the help of Mike Bolsinger and Chase Anderson, the D-backs' starting five has combined to produce an ERA of 3.08 ERA, a 1.104 (WHIP) clip and eight total wins since April 23.
So, we at ArizonaSports.com asked our readers whether the staff's performance in April or May was a better indication of how things will turn out at the end of the 162-game season.
Of the 643 readers polled, a third option suggesting they'll level out somewhere in the middle of both months was far and away the most popular choice, garnering 75 percent of the vote (480).
There were some signs of optimism, however, as the next most popular choice (17 percent) favored the staff's performance in May as the better indicator.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.