Addison Reed is the D-backs' closer, and that's how it should be
But despite calls to the contrary, he needs to remain the closer for the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Despite converting 11 saves in 13 opportunities, Reed hasn't been great. Almost every appearance is an adventure. But what do you want the Diamondbacks to do? David Hernandez is on the shelf, as is J.J. Putz. Brad Ziegler is very good, but he is much better suited to help in earlier innings.
Reed is 25 years old. He saved 40 games last year and had an ERA of 3.79 for the White Sox. Arizona gave up a good prospect in Matt Davidson to get him from Chicago in a trade. And now six weeks into the season, there are calls for his head.
If Arizona was in contention and this was August or September, those calls might be justified. But this team is 16-26 and not going anywhere this year. So why give up on a young talent and discard him?
Reed has to learn the National League and its players, its parks and develop a better rapport with Miguel Montero. He needs to be allowed the chance to work through his problem of serving up the long ball.
Arizona acquired Reed with the hopes he would be their closer for several years and that is still the plan.
He's clearly not happy with the way he is pitching, but he needs to be given the chance to work his way out if it.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.