Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson smokes Nationals' Matt Williams in race back to dugout
Unfortunately for them, it wasn't the one that counts in the standings.
At any rate, prior to the game, D-backs skipper Kirk Gibson exchanged his lineup card with former D-backs coach and now Nationals manager Matt Williams at home plate. From there it was off to the races, with the managers seeing who could get back to their dugout first.
Gibson won in a way that would make even California Chrome jealous.
"We used to run five, six days a week together," Gibson explained to Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. "Run distance, run ramps, run stairs. Matt, he's got good lungs, a lot younger lungs than me, so if you go distance, if I can hang in there to the end I could always out-kick him. So he knew by the end of when we'd run, he'd always have to go out hard and try to lose me, get a good lead so he could beat me.
"So last night I told him how I had that knee surgery five weeks ago or something like that, so I've been telling him how bad my knee is, I can't run, I can't do this. So he said 'let's go on a big run.' So he's all set up, and I just shook his hand. He didn't know what was going on, I just sprinted off there. It was a setup. Is that cheating or is that just smart?"
Gibson also noted that Williams knew from his time on his bench that he likes to get back to his dugout before the opposing manager, so it wasn't exactly a total secret.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.