Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson smokes Nationals' Matt Williams in race back to dugout
Unfortunately for them, it wasn't the one that counts in the standings.
At any rate, prior to the game, D-backs skipper Kirk Gibson exchanged his lineup card with former D-backs coach and now Nationals manager Matt Williams at home plate. From there it was off to the races, with the managers seeing who could get back to their dugout first.
Gibson won in a way that would make even California Chrome jealous.
"We used to run five, six days a week together," Gibson explained to Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Tuesday. "Run distance, run ramps, run stairs. Matt, he's got good lungs, a lot younger lungs than me, so if you go distance, if I can hang in there to the end I could always out-kick him. So he knew by the end of when we'd run, he'd always have to go out hard and try to lose me, get a good lead so he could beat me.
"So last night I told him how I had that knee surgery five weeks ago or something like that, so I've been telling him how bad my knee is, I can't run, I can't do this. So he said 'let's go on a big run.' So he's all set up, and I just shook his hand. He didn't know what was going on, I just sprinted off there. It was a setup. Is that cheating or is that just smart?"
Gibson also noted that Williams knew from his time on his bench that he likes to get back to his dugout before the opposing manager, so it wasn't exactly a total secret.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.