Arizona Diamondbacks GM on Chris Owings: 'Not surprised by what he's doing'
"He reminds me a lot of Goldy," Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday when asked about shortstop Chris Owings.
Towers said Owings, who was recently named the National League's Rookie of the Month for March and April, made an impression a few years ago when he was in the team's big league camp. He wasn't really a candidate to make the Major League roster at the time, but the team wanted a closer look at one of its top prospects.
"(A.J.) Pollock and C.O. were guys who when you would talk to them about what they need to do when they go back down to the minor leagues, they were mature beyond their years, knew what they had to do, knew what they had to work on to get back up here," he said.
The 22-year-old Owings had to win a spring training battle with Didi Gregorius to earn the job, but since doing so has entrenched himself with the team. He leads MLB rookies in hits and is tied with the Yankees' Yangervis Solarte for the top batting average among first-year players.
Entering play Wednesday, Owings was hitting .298 with one home run and four RBI. Mostly slotted in back half of the lineup this season, he was moved to the second spot Tuesday night and responded with his first career homer.
"Just an incredible athlete, a great kid. Does all the little things right," Towers said, noting how the shortstop rebounded from a poor start Tuesday to have a solid game. "Not surprised by what he's doing; I think he's only going to get better the more comfortable he gets at this level."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.