Updated May 7, 2014 - 9:04 am
GM Kevin Towers outlines difference between home and road for D-backs
Unfortunately for the Arizona Diamondbacks, home is not where the wins have been.
Entering Wednesday's action, the D-backs are a respectable 9-9 away from Chase Field, while sporting a horrific 3-15 home record.
Arizona has won five of their last seven road games, including Tuesday night's come-from-behind win in Milwaukee. Why the big difference between home and road games this season?
"I think a lot of it has to be pressing at home," general manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "I think our guys know how vested our fan base is in this club and how we haven't performed at home. (There's) maybe added pressure, trying to do too much at home.
"Things have been somewhat negative around there in the way we've played -- it's hard on them. Where here, you're somewhat insulated on the road. When you're on the road, perhaps there is a little less pressure."
The numbers certainly support what Towers is saying, especially from a pitching standpoint. The D-backs' team ERA is almost a run lower on the road -- 4.52 to 5.36.
The Diamondbacks are attempting to win their third road series of the season, and doing so against the Brewers, who have the top winning percentage in the National League.
"Hopefully, we're able to carry it back home and win a home series," Towers said. "And if we win a home series, hopefully we can put all that behind us as well."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.