D-backs pitcher Evan Marshall shines in debut
But what he did Tuesday, at the major league level, in his Arizona Diamondbacks debut, facing baseball's best team, really legitimized the lower-level exploits.
Marshall used seven 95-mph fastballs -- 19 pitches in total -- to coax four Milwaukee Brewers out, never allowing a man to reach base.
He entered the game with men on first and second base in the sixth inning and got a groundout out of early MVP candidate Carlos Gomez to escape the trouble with his team unscathed.
In the following inning, he put away two via the strikeout.
And his team's three-run rally thereafter put the 24-year-old in line for the win, making him the third Diamondbacks relief pitcher to get a win in his major league debut, along with Josh Collmenter -- who happened to start Tuesday's game -- and Clay Zavada.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.