D-backs pitcher Evan Marshall shines in debut
But what he did Tuesday, at the major league level, in his Arizona Diamondbacks debut, facing baseball's best team, really legitimized the lower-level exploits.
Marshall used seven 95-mph fastballs -- 19 pitches in total -- to coax four Milwaukee Brewers out, never allowing a man to reach base.
He entered the game with men on first and second base in the sixth inning and got a groundout out of early MVP candidate Carlos Gomez to escape the trouble with his team unscathed.
In the following inning, he put away two via the strikeout.
And his team's three-run rally thereafter put the 24-year-old in line for the win, making him the third Diamondbacks relief pitcher to get a win in his major league debut, along with Josh Collmenter -- who happened to start Tuesday's game -- and Clay Zavada.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.