D-backs' starting rotation beginning to find its form after rough start to 2014 campaign
At the time, Arizona's five-man unit led the league with the fewest quality starts and the worst ERA. They also were in the bottom five in WHIP, opponent batting average and opponent on-base percentage.
While its ranking in those respective categories hasn't exactly improved all that much, the desired results have started to come.
Since April 24, Brandon McCarthy, Bronson Arroyo, Josh Collmenter, Mike Bolsinger and Wade Miley have slowly but surely turned the proverbial corner.
The D-backs' rotation has been rather impressive over its last 10 appearances, combining to throw seven quality starts in 64.2 innings of work.
In that span, Arizona starters have gone at least six innings in nine of 10 outings, and not a single pitcher has yielded more than two walks.
It's also not surprising that as the rotation has slowly turned things around, so too has Kirk Gibson's squad.
Backed by their starters' collective 3.09 ERA, the D-backs have won three of their last four games and five of their last 10.
Although it might be a small sample size, it's certainly a step in the right direction.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.